2015 Fiat 500X offers Italian Renegade spiritThu, 20 Nov 2014 00:01:00 EST
Fiat is following up on the March unveiling of the Jeep Renegade with its own compact crossover, the oft-rumored and teased 500X, which is making its big debut later today at the 2014 Los Angeles Auto Show.
Like the Renegade on which it shares a platform, the 500X comes to bat with the choice of a 1.4-liter, turbocharged four-cylinder – the same 160-horsepower, 184-pound-feet mill used in the 500L, 500 Abarth and Dodge Dart – or Chrysler's 2.4-liter, 180-horsepower Tigershark four-cylinder. Also like the adorable Jeep, 500X customers can have their turbocharged engine with a six-speed manual, while the 2.4 is paired with a nine-speed auto. Front-drive is standard, while the optional all-wheel-drive system features a disconnecting rear axle for improved economy.
While the bits under the hood are identical to the Renegade, this new model dispatches the Jeep's blocky SUV-inspired looks for something more in keeping with a modern crossover. The influences from the 500L are clear, but Fiat's designers at Centro Stile in Turin have delivered something less polarizing than the brand's five-door hatch. The fascia is rounder with a trapezoidal nose to more closely resemble the standard 500, while the roofline plunges more aggressively at the rear of the car, creating a larger C-pillar. That move in particular goes a long way towards cancelling out the square shape. The total effect is a design that is far more elegant, especially in the Matte Bronze shown above.
The 500X also departs from the appearance of the Renegade in its cabin, where there's a chic Italian-ness on display. The dash is quite reminiscent of the 500L, but departs noticeably in the instrument cluster, where a three-binnacle setup can be found, complete with a central 3.5-inch TFT display. The central touchscreen is a five-inch unit, although Fiat will also offer a larger 6.5-inch display for those that enjoy a bit more screen real estate. Upholstery choices are decidedly Italian, with Fiat offering standard contrasting designs (black and red or dark brown and gray), as well as the rich Tobacco brown leather seats, shown above.
The 2015 500X will be available in five different trims, four of which should be familiar to Fiat customers. The base Pop, mid-level Easy and premium Lounge trims are joined by a more rugged and assertively styled Trekking and Trekking Plus. The 500X will be built alongside the Renegade at Fiat's Melfi, Italy factory, with sales to begin during the first half of 2015.
We'll have more on the 500X when it hits the stage in LA later today. While you wait for that, be sure to scroll down for Fiat's full press blast on its latest offering.
The FIAT Brand Continues to Expand with the All-new Fiat 500X
? 2016 Fiat 500X combines iconic Italian style with functionality, performance and all- wheel-drive confidence
? All-new small crossover highlights continued expansion of FIAT brand in North America
? Delivers contemporary Italian design with iconic Cinquecento features in a larger, more
? Features advanced drive systems, including two engine options, available nine-speed automatic transmission, and available all-wheel drive with disconnecting rear axle for improved fuel efficiency
? Loaded with up to 70 advanced safety and security features
? Available in five trim models and 12 exterior colors to offer the personality that FIAT vehicles are known for
The all-new 2016 Fiat 500X is the latest addition to the FIAT lineup in North America, combining the authentic Italian design and engaging driving dynamics synonymous with the FIAT brand, together with advanced drive systems, unmatched functionality, and a full array of safety, comfort and convenience features.
"The Fiat 500X will significantly expand the reach of the FIAT brand in North America," said Jason Stoicevich, Head of FIAT Brand North America, Chrysler Group LLC. "The all-new 500X delivers the Italian design and personality that we are known for, along with an unprecedented level of equipment and technology. In addition, it will be the first vehicle in our portfolio to offer an advanced all-wheel-drive system that will provide customers with peace of mind in all driving conditions."
With comfortable seating for five, world-class craftsmanship, and superior ride and handling, the Fiat 500X delivers driving excitement, technology, safety and functionality to the rapidly growing small crossover segment.
In the United States, the all-new Fiat 500X is available with the fuel-efficient 1.4-liter MultiAir Turbo engine paired with a six-speed manual transmission, with an output of 160 horsepower and 184 lb.-ft. of
torque. The 2.4-liter Tigershark MultiAir2 engine produces 180 horsepower and 175 lb.-ft. of torque, and is paired exclusively to a nine-speed automatic transmission on all-wheel-drive and front-wheel- drive models.
A disconnecting rear axle allows for reduced parasitic loss when all-wheel-drive capability is not needed, improving fuel efficiency. The Dynamic Selector system allows the driver to choose from three modes (Auto, Sport and Traction +) for the most suitable vehicle configuration for different driving conditions.
The 2016 Fiat 500X offers up to 70 standard and available safety and security features, including Forward Collision Warning-Plus, LaneSense Departure Warning-Plus, Blind-spot Monitoring and Rear Cross Path detection. Electronic stability control (ESC) with Hill-start Assist and electronic roll mitigation is standard on all models, as are seven air bags.
Loaded with technology and convenience, the Fiat 500X is available with features like Uconnect 6.5 radio with a 6.5-inch high-resolution touchscreen and navigation, Bluetooth streaming audio, Uconnect Access Via Mobile, a 3.5-inch color thin-film transistor (TFT) cluster display, Keyless Enter-N-Go, and heated front seats and steering wheel.
The all-new Fiat 500X was designed at Centro Stile in Turin, Italy, where designers leveraged the character and iconic features of the Fiat 500 into a larger and more mature package. On the exterior, design elements like double headlamps, a trapezoidal nose, the signature "whiskers and logo" face and the rounded clamshell hood pay homage to the original Cinquecento. The purposeful and distinct Italian design carries through to the interior with clever storage, body-color instrument panel, a circular cluster display and iconic door handles.
The 2016 Fiat 500X is available in five trim levels: Pop, Easy, Lounge, and for a more rugged look, Trekking and Trekking Plus. The Trekking and Trekking Plus models feature unique front and rear fascia designs, and satin silver accents for a distinct, adventurous appearance.
Crafted in Italy at Fiat Automobiles' Melfi assembly plant, the all-new Fiat 500X will arrive in FIAT studios in North America in the first half of 2015. As a global vehicle, it will go on sale in more than 100 countries worldwide.
All-new 2016 Fiat 500X Engineered for Performance, Fuel Economy and Spirited Driving
? Fiat 500X delivers fuel economy and capability combined with performance and dynamic driving experience
? Choice of two four-cylinder engines, featuring innovative MultiAir technology, paired with nine-speed automatic transmission or six-speed manual transmission
? Available all-wheel drive with disconnecting rear axle reduces parasitic loss for improved efficiency
? Dynamic Selector system allows drivers to select the most suitable vehicle configuration for different driving conditions
? Precise electric power steering (EPS) improves handling and fuel economy
? Advanced engineering and high-strength steel deliver exceptional interior quietness and crashworthiness
As the first FIAT vehicle available with all-wheel drive, the Fiat 500X delivers performance, fuel economy and capability through thoughtfully engineered systems and components. With its advanced drive systems, available push-button and remote start, and exceptional handling and fuel economy, the Fiat 500X raises the bar in the small crossover segment.
The Fiat 500X is available with three powertrain combinations, all developed and specifically tailored for North American driving preferences.
Standard on the Pop model, the 1.4-liter MultiAir Turbo four-cylinder engine is paired with a six-speed manual transmission and generates 160 horsepower and 184 lb.-ft. of torque for a spirited driving experience.
The 2.4-liter Tigershark I-4 engine with MultiAir2 is paired with the segment's first nine-speed automatic transmission, producing 180 horsepower and 175 lb.-ft. of torque. The nine-speed transmission enables the vehicle to optimize engine output and enable aggressive launches and smooth, efficient power delivery at highway speeds.
The Fiat 500X's nine-speed gearbox provides a more responsive driving experience with quicker acceleration and smoother shifting. A unique set of four overdrive ratios improve highway fuel economy and reduce overall noise, vibration and harshness (NVH) levels.
The fully electronic nine-speed automatic features on-the-fly shift-map changing with Auto Stick manual shift capability. More than 20 individual shift maps for specific conditions optimize shift quality and shift points for improved fuel economy, performance and drivability.
For improved driving comfort and refinement, the transmission control strategy closely monitors temperature, speed and electronic stability control activation. The result is automatic shifting ideally attuned to the performance requirements of almost any driving demand.
The available all-wheel-drive system utilizes a disconnecting rear axle to improve efficiency by reducing parasitic loss when all-wheel drive is not needed.
Dynamic Selector system
The Fiat Dynamic Selector system offers three customized modes for optimal driving performance. The driver can select the most suitable vehicle configuration for different driving conditions:
? Auto: The basic mode calibrated for everyday driving and designed to ensure optimal fuel efficiency, low emissions and driving comfort. This is achieved with a smoother engine calibration, higher servo assistance on steering and a shift point optimized for low carbon dioxide emissions.
? Sport: The engine calibration converts for a sportier feel and is tuned for a faster driving response through electronic stability control and steering calibrations. With all-wheel drive, this mode optimizes the transmission for lateral dynamics.
? Traction +: A specifically calibrated mode maximizes low-speed traction with low friction and off- road surfaces by providing additional wheel slip through specially tuned chassis controls and a more direct engine response.
Engaging driving dynamics
The 2016 Fiat 500X features engaging driving dynamics with superior ride and handling. A tuned electric power steering (EPS) system provides enhanced handling and improved fuel efficiency, while superior torsional rigidity and NVH applications deliver an exceptionally quiet cabin.
An extensive use of high-strength steel reinforces the vehicle's dynamics and crashworthiness, while optimizing weight for maximum fuel efficiency. The independent front MacPherson strut suspension features lightweight, optimally sized components for nimble dynamics and quiet performance. The isolated rear cradle provides a quieter and smoother ride.
The all-new 2016 Fiat 500X also features Koni frequency selective damping (FSD) front strut and rear shock absorbers to deliver improved road-holding and handling characteristics. In addition, the Koni FSD system actively filters out high-frequency suspension inputs from uneven road surfaces and adjusts for comfort and smoothness while maintaining excellent ride control.
All-new 2016 Fiat 500X Design Pairs Distinct Italian Style with Functionality and Purpose
? 2016 Fiat 500X leverages the iconic Cinquecento's DNA to deliver classic Italian style with additional space and utility
? All-new small crossover pays homage to FIAT brand's history of innovative multifunctional vehicles
? Interior features iconic Italian design with comfortable seating for five and clever storage
? Trekking and Trekking Plus models deliver more rugged appearance
Designed at Centro Stile in Turin, Italy, the all-new Fiat 500X leverages the character and iconic features of the Fiat 500 into a larger and more capable package. With recognizable Cinquecento features inside and out, the Fiat 500X delivers a combination of Italian design and functionality to the rapidly growing small crossover segment.
Featuring comfortable seating for five, the 2016 Fiat 500X is available in five trim levels with distinct personalities: Pop, Easy, Trekking, Lounge and Trekking Plus.
2016 Fiat 500X exterior design
The all-new Fiat 500X provides more space and utility while remaining true to the brand's heritage. Design elements like double headlamps, trapezoidal nose, signature "whiskers and logo" face and rounded clamshell hood pay homage to the original Cinquecento. The Fiat 500X also features the smooth silhouette, 360-degree character line and chrome door handles characteristic of the FIAT brand.
Building on the iconic design elements of the Fiat 500, the all-new 500X offers a more capable look with additional ground clearance, 16-, 17- or 18-inch wheels and robust wheel arches.
The all-new 2016 Fiat 500X will be available in 12 different exterior colors, including Nero Cinema (Black Clear Coat), Blu Venezia (Blue Metallic), Verde Toscana (Green Metallic), Bronzo Magnetico Opaco (Matte Bronze), Bronzo Magnetico (Bronze Metallic), Giallo Amalfi Tristrato (Tricoat Yellow), Grigio Arte (Gray Clear Coat), Grigio Argento (Gray Metallic), Arancio (Orange), Rosso Passione (Red Hypnotique Clear Coat), Bianco Gelato (White Clear Coat) and Rosso Amore (Tricoat Red).
2016 Fiat 500X interior design
The Fiat 500X's purposeful and distinct Italian design carries through to the interior, with classic Cinquecento elements such as a body-color instrument panel, circular cluster display and iconic door handles.
Seven interior environments are available, with a variety of colors and fabrics, including Nero/Rosso (black/red) cloth seats, Testa di Moro/Grigio (dark brown/gray) premium cloth seats and Cuoio Anticato (Tobacco) premium leather seats.
The instrument cluster features a standard monochrome and available color 3.5-inch thin-film transistor (TFT) cluster display, which allows drivers to customize and monitor information like fuel economy, outside temperature and driving range. At the center, the Fiat 500X is available with the Uconnect 5.0 or 6.5 radio system, providing passengers with information and connectivity options on a 5-inch or 6.5- inch touchscreen.
The Fiat 500X interior also provides unmatched utility, featuring a large rear cargo area with a height- adjustable rear cargo floor, second-row 60/40 split seats and fold-forward front passenger seat. Clever storage adds to the functionality of the 500X, including a dual glove box with a locking lower portion, center console storage and a bin at the base of the center stack that allows for storage and connectivity.
An available dual-pane sunroof features a power sliding panoramic roof, with side glass panels that match with the bodyside sheet metal for a wide, spacious effect. A manual sunshade is provided to adjust the amount of light inside the vehicle.
All-new Fiat 500X Trekking and Trekking Plus
With rugged styling, the Fiat 500X Trekking and Trekking Plus models offer customers with active lifestyles a more capable look. The Trekking and Trekking Plus models feature unique front and rear fascia designs for a more aggressive appearance. Satin silver accents add to the distinct, adventurous look.
Inside, the Fiat 500X Trekking features a unique interior environment with Nero (black) premium cloth seats, while the Trekking Plus model comes standard with premium leather seats in either Nero or Cuoio Anticato (Tobacco).
All-new 2016 Fiat 500X Offers Advanced Technology Features Once Limited to Premium Vehicles
? Uconnect systems provide a range of available handsfree communication, entertainment and navigation features
? Available Uconnect Access Via Mobile provides access to popular Internet radio apps
? Other options include BeatsAudio premium sound system, Keyless Enter 'n Go and ambient interior lighting
The all-new 2016 Fiat 500X offers a range of communication, entertainment and navigation features, making a host of features once found only in premium vehicles available in the small crossover segment.
The Fiat 500X includes a standard monochrome and available color 3.5-inch thin-film transistor (TFT) cluster display, which allows drivers to customize and monitor information like fuel economy, outside temperature and driving range.
Also available is a full array of technologies that provide additional comfort and convenience, including a space-saving electric park brake, cap-less fuel filler door, standard Tire-pressure Monitoring system with tire-specific display, Keyless Enter 'n Go with valet key, heated front seats and steering wheel, ambient lighting and heated side mirrors with turn signals.
The all-new Fiat 500X showcases Uconnect's award-winning in-vehicle handsfree communication, entertainment and navigation. The Uconnect 5.0 system (standard on Easy and Trekking) features a 5- inch touchscreen with Bluetooth handsfree calling, voice-command control of AM/FM radio and streaming audio, and SiriusXM Radio (including a one-year subscription).
Also available is Uconnect Access Via Mobile (with a five-year subscription), which enables drivers to ?connect and control their personal Pandora, iHeart Radio, Slacker Radio or Aha Radio accounts using ?the vehicle's Uconnect system.
The Uconnect 6.5 system (standard on Lounge and Trekking Plus, available on Easy and Trekking) includes all of the features on the Uconnect 5.0 system, but adds a 6.5-inch touchscreen, GPS navigation, HD radio, SiriusXM Travel Link (including a five-year subscription) and SiriusXM Traffic (including a five-year subscription).
SiriusXM Travel Link can be operated via voice and provides premium data services and information, including weather, fuel prices, sports and movie listings. SiriusXM Traffic works with the vehicle's navigation system to display traffic speed and flow information, along with accident information to assist drivers in routing around congested areas.
Also available is the BeatsAudio premium sound system, which includes a subwoofer and eight speakers for studio-quality sound.
All-new 2016 Fiat 500X is Packed with up to 70 Advanced Safety and Security Features
? All-new 2016 Fiat 500X offers advanced safety features, including:
o Forward Collision Warning-Plus that deploys brakes to alert the driver about
impact risk, and assist with driver response
o LaneSense Departure Warning-Plus leverages electronic power steering (EPS) to deliver a torque input to alert and assist the driver with corrective action
o Innovative Blind-spot Monitoring and Rear Cross Path detection systems
? Seven standard air bags, including seat-mounted side pelvic-thorax air bags and full-
length side-curtain air bags
Safety is a priority for the FIAT brand, and the multitude of features available in the all-new 2016 Fiat 500X demonstrates that importance. The new small crossover offers up to 70 standard or available safety and security features, including the availability of Forward Collision Warning-Plus and LaneSense Departure Warning-Plus.
The Fiat 500X is supplemented with both active and passive safety and security features, including Blind-spot Monitoring, Rear Cross Path detection, ParkView rear backup camera with dynamic grid lines, electronic stability control (ESC) with electronic roll mitigation and seven standard air bags.
Standard and available safety and security features on the all-new 2016 Fiat 500X include:
1. Active turn signals: Turn signal flashes three times when stalk is depressed for one second to indicate a lane change
2. Advanced multistage air bags: Inflate with a force appropriate to the severity of the impact. Meet FMVSS 208 advanced air bag requirements for smaller, out-of-position occupants
3. All-row full-length side-curtain air bags: Extend protection to all outboard front- and rear- seat passengers. Each side air bag has its own impact sensor that autonomously triggers the air bag on the side where an impact occurs. This type of air bag is housed in the headliner just above side windows
4. All-speed traction control system: Part of the standard anti-lock brake system (ABS), helps keep driving wheels from spinning during acceleration from a stop or during all speeds by applying individual brakes alone or in combination with engine torque limitation to prevent wheel slip
5. Anti-lock brake system (ABS): Senses and prevents wheel lockup, offering improved steering control under extreme braking and/or slippery conditions
6. Anti-lock brake system with rough-road detection: Anti-lock brake system is capable of detecting if the vehicle is driving on a rough road by the oscillations in the wheel speed signals. When rough road is detected on off-road surfaces or trails, ABS enters a different pressure control where it will hold the brake pressure for longer pulses
7. Auto-dimming rearview mirror: Auto-dimming mirror automatically reduces glare from bright light, allowing the driver to have a clearer view of the road ahead
8. Automatic defog: Enables the automatic temperature control (ATC) system to measure humidity inside the vehicle and provide a fog-free windshield automatically without driver intervention
9. Automatic headlamps: Headlamps turn on and off automatically depending on exterior light levels and when the windshield wipers are turned on or off
10. Automatic high-beam headlamps: Headlamp system adjusts to oncoming traffic to deliver maximum lighting
11. Auto-reverse sunroof: When equipped with the power sunroof, the system automatically reverses when it senses an obstruction during closing
12. Auto-reverse windows: The window automatically reverses when it senses an obstruction during closing
13. BeltAlert: Activates a chime and/or illuminates an icon in the instrument cluster to remind the driver and front passenger to buckle up if a vehicle is driven without belted front-seat occupants
14. Blind-spot Monitoring (BSM): Uses dual ultra-wideband radar sensors to aid the driver when changing lanes or if being passed by or passing unseen vehicles. The system notifies the driver of vehicle(s) in their blind spot via illuminated icons on the side-view mirror
15. Brake assist: In an emergency brake situation, the system applies maximum braking power, minimizing the stopping distance
16. Brake-lock differential system (BLDS): Allows the vehicle to maintain forward motion if one or two wheels lose traction by selectively and aggressively applying brakes to the spinning wheels
17. Brake-throttle override: Allows driver to stop the vehicle when throttle and brake inputs occur simultaneously; electronic throttle control reduces engine-power output until vehicle stops or pedal inputs cease
18. Brake/park interlock: Prevents the transmission from being shifted out of "Park" unless the brake pedal is pushed
19. Brake traction-control system (BTCS): Helps to keep driving wheels from spinning during acceleration from a stop or during slow speeds by applying individual brakes to the slipping wheel(s)
20. Capless fuel-filler door: Provides fuel-filling simplicity and eliminates contact with any fuel spillage
21. Child-protection rear door locks: Disables the rear doors' inside-release handle by adjusting a small lever on the door-shut face
22. Child seat anchor system: LATCH (Lower Anchors and Tethers for CHildren) designed to ease installation of compatible aftermarket child seats
23. Constant-force retractors (CFR): Regulate the force exerted on the occupants by the seat belts and then gradually release seat-belt webbing in a controlled manner
24. Cornering fog lamps: Provide additional light in the direction of an intended turn or lane change
25. Daytime running lamps (DRL): Lights that illuminate during daytime conditions, increasing the vehicle's visibility to other drivers
26. Driver's side knee air bag: Located below the instrument panel, the knee air bag deploys when the driver air bag deploys and is designed to properly position the occupant during impact and offer additional lower leg protection
27. Dual-note electric horns: Produces two different tones at the same time, to cut through ambient noise
28. Electric parking brake (EPB): Utilizes parking brake switch mounted in the center console, a motor on caliper (MOC) at each rear wheel and an electronic control module. Four modes of operation: static apply and release, dynamic apply, drive away release and safe hold
29. Electronic brake-force distribution: Assists the driver to optimize stopping distances and control under all vehicle loading conditions by regulating braking pressure front-to-rear
30. Electronic roll mitigation (ERM): An extension of electronic stability control (ESC). Uses input from ESC sensors to anticipate if the vehicle is at risk of entering a potential roll situation, then applies the brakes individually and modulates the throttle position as needed
31. Electronic stability control (ESC): Enhances driver control and helps maintain directional stability under all conditions. Provides the benefit in critical driving situations such as turns, and is valuable when driving on mixed surface conditions including snow, ice or gravel. If there is a discernible difference between driver input through the steering wheel and the vehicle's path, ESC applies selective braking and throttle input to guide the vehicle back on to the driver's intended path
32. Electronic Vehicle Information Center (EVIC): Provides the driver with trip, temperature, tire-pressure monitoring and other vehicle information within the instrument cluster
33. Energy-absorbing steering column: The manual-adjust steering column utilizes two hydroformed coaxial tubes that can move relative to each other to allow the column to move forward for enhanced energy absorption during a crash. The power-adjust steering column employs a calibrated bending element that deforms during column stroke for optimal energy management
34. Energy management system: Three front load paths designed from high-strength steel help maintain structural integrity and minimize cabin intrusion
35. Express up/down windows: One-touch powered express up/down window button located on the front driver and passenger-side doors
36. Fog lamps: Lighting to provide additional visibility in fog or other poor weather conditions
37. Forward Collision Warning-Plus: Utilizes radar and video sensors to detect whether the 500X is approaching another vehicle or large obstacle in its path too rapidly, and warns or assists the driver in avoiding/mitigating the incident
38. Front and rear crumple zones: Specially formed structural members that crumple and absorb energy in a collision, helping protect the occupant cabin
39. Front seat-belt adaptive/active load limiters: Designed to optimize the chest loading in an impact event
40. Front seat-belt pretensioners: During a collision, impact sensors initiate front seat-belt pretensioners to remove slack in the seat belt system, thereby reducing the forward movement of the occupant's head and torso
41. Front-seat mounted side pelvic thorax air bags: Provide enhanced protection to the driver and front outboard passenger in certain impacts. Each side air bag has its own impact sensor that autonomously triggers the air bag on the side where an impact occurs. Standard side air bags are housed within the outboard side of each front seat
42. Front wiper blades deicer: Prevents wiper blades from freezing to the front windshield and improves cold-weather wipe ability
43. Global position sensor (GPS): Used for navigation guidance and electronic vehicle tracking
44. Heated sideview mirrors: Prevents buildup of snow or ice on sideview mirrors to maintain visibility
45. Height-adjustable seat belts (front row): Outboard seat belts feature height adjustment, allowing for the seat belt to be placed in the optimal position for any driver or passenger
46. Hill-start Assist (HSA): Assists drivers when starting a vehicle from a stop on a hill by maintaining the level of brake pressure applied for a short period of time after the driver's foot is removed from the brake pedal. If throttle is not applied within a short period of time after the driver's foot is removed from the brake pedal, brake pressure will be released
47. Keyless Enter 'n Go: When an individual enters the vehicle, electronic sensors detect if the vehicle key fob is present. The vehicle will then allow the individual to push a button to start the vehicle without having to insert the key into the ignition
48. LaneSense Departure Warning-Plus: Leverages electronic power steering (EPS) to deliver a torque input to alert and assist the driver with corrective action
49. Mopar Electronic Vehicle Tracking System (EVTS): State-of-the-art GPS-enabled stolen vehicle recovery system. EVTS includes nationwide tracking including 24/7 emergency service dispatch, security fence, arrival/departure notification, excessive speed notification and trace maps of past locations (in selected markets)
50. Occupant Restraint Controller: Detects an impact and determines whether a crash is severe enough to trigger air bag deployment and whether the primary or secondary stage inflation is sufficient. In addition, the controller detects side impacts and determines whether the rail-curtain and side seat-mounted (thorax protection) air bags should deploy. Engagement of front seat-belt pretensioners are also managed through the controller
51. ParkSense rear park assist system: The system utilizes ultrasonic sensors at low speeds in reverse to detect stationary objects.
52. ParkView rear backup camera: Provides a wide-angle view of the area immediately behind the vehicle, giving the driver greater peace of mind before reversing at low speeds. Contains dynamic grid lines to aid the driver when maneuvering into parking spaces or narrow areas. The image is displayed on the navigation screen when the transmission is shifted into Reverse
53. Projector headlamps: Headlamp system provides more controlled illumination for increased visibility
54. Rain-sensing wipers: A driver convenience feature that automatically senses moisture on the windshield and activates wipers
55. Ready Alert Braking (RAB): Anticipates situations when the driver may initiate an emergency brake stop and uses the ESC pump to set brake pads against rotors in order to decrease the time required for full brake application
56. Rear Cross Path (RCP) detection: In parking lot situations, this system warns drivers backing out of parking spaces of traffic moving toward their vehicle. It activates any time the vehicle is in Reverse. The driver is notified of vehicle(s) crossing behind the vehicle via illuminated icons on the side-view mirror and with a driver-selected audible chime
57. Remote keyless entry: Locks and unlocks doors and turns on interior lamps. If the vehicle is equipped with a security alarm, the remote also arms and disarms that system
58. Remote start: Conveniently starts the engine by using the key fob while maintaining vehicle security
59. Safety cage body structure: Protects occupants by managing and controlling energy in the event of an impact
60. Security alarm: Deters vandalism and theft, frequently lowering insurance premiums. System protects the vehicle from theft by monitoring door-ajar switches and the ignition circuit for unauthorized entry
61. Sentry Key engine immobilizer: Utilizes an engine key that has an embedded transponder with a preprogrammed security code to discourage vehicle theft. When the key is inserted into the ignition, the controller sends a random number to the transponder and the engine is allowed to start. If an incorrect key is used, the engine will shut off after a few seconds
62. Side guard door beams: Reinforcement beams inside the doors that increase occupant protection in a side collision
63. SiriusXM Traffic: Works with the vehicle's navigation system to display traffic speed and flow information, along with accident information to assist drivers in routing around congested areas
64. SiriusXM Travel Link: Real-time local fuel prices, weather conditions, sports scores and movie locations and times all featured in this subscription-based system provided by SiriusXM Radio
65. Supplemental turn signals: Signal lamps built into the housing of exterior mirrors allow turn signals to be viewed from the front, sides and rear of the vehicle in order to alert oncoming traffic and pedestrians
66. Thin-film transistor (TFT) instrument cluster display: Offers drivers a wide range of customization options, from a basic analog read-out to a full digital display that clearly communicates vehicle information with easy-to-understand icons
67. Three-point seat belts: Front outboard seating positions and all rear seating positions have lap and shoulder belts
68. Tilt-and-telescoping steering column: Allows steering column to tilt and move toward or away from the driver to achieve a safe and comfortable distance from the advanced multi- stage front driver air bag, if deployed
69. Tire-pressure monitoring (TPM) system: Informs driver when tire pressure is too low. Pressure-sensor modules within the valve stems of all four wheels send continuous radio- frequency signals to a receiver and the system. Tire-pressure monitoring system self-learns tire position after rotation or tire is moved to a new location
70. Uconnect Voice Command: An in-vehicle, voice-activated communication system that allows drivers to operate a Bluetooth compatible phone with their hands on the wheel and eyes on the road. When the Bluetooth phone is initially connected, the contact list is automatically downloaded, synchronizing as many as 1,000 phone book entries, which can then be selected by simply saying a contact name. It also allows drivers to switch radio modes, tune to AM/FM and SiriusXM Radio stations and request real-time information (such as fuel prices) from SiriusXM Travel Link using natural voice commands. The handsfree option promotes safety, freedom, value and flexibility
By Brandon Turkus
See also: Six 'shut up and take my money' cars, Fiat debuts 500 Ribelle, 500L Urbana Trekking, Mopar maneuvers into SEMA with a multitude of modified models.